Projects // Institutional

Titanic Memorial Relocation New York, New York

As part of the South Street Seaport Museum’s master plan vision for the future, the Museum is proposing the relocation of the existing Titanic Memorial at Fulton & Water Streets to a location opposite the Museum’s entrance. 

On April 21, 1912, six days after the news had arrived that the giant steamship Titanic, with more than 1,500 passengers and crew, sank in the Atlantic, a sorrowful group of over 400 people proposed the construction of a memorial atop the Seaman’s Church Institute at South Street. The Titanic Memorial Lighthouse was indeed a lighthouse for vessels approaching the New York harbor, and could be seen by all ships in New York harbor’s Upper Bay from its position at 25 South Street.  In addition, a mounted time ball on a pole atop the monument would drop daily at 12 noon; people would set their watches to the event.

In 1968, the Seamen’s Church Institute building was demolished, and the lighthouse structure was intended to be sold for scrap metal.  Through the efforts of various history buffs and donations, it was saved and moved to Water and Fulton Streets, on a narrow wedge-shaped lot, and became an icon for the South Street Seaport Museum.

The architectural intention is to restore the copper sheathing on the top, and reconstruct the walkway with rails.  The time ball will be reactivated, and new lighting in the lighthouse portion will be installed.  The base of the Memorial will be opened up with glass panels in the perimeter and an admission ticket booth for South Street Seaport Museum will be accommodated.

Titanic Memorial Relocation

Titanic Memorial Relocation, View on South Street

Titanic Memorial Relocation

Titanic Memorial Relocation, View on South Street

Titanic Memorial Relocation

Titanic Memorial Relocation, North South section at Museum